Tuesday 14 April 2015

Fired with new Enthusiasm.

My Plan this year was to buy a new bigger kiln,
we were hoping to get our hands on some grant money
that would pay half the costs.
But the Grant we are told is not going to be available 
until September at the earliest.
It all felt a bit Rubbish for our plans.
But I decided not to worry about it, these things always seem to sort themselves out.

Then a few weeks ago I had a message from Hannah McAndrew
up in Scotland.
There was a secondhand Kiln for sale up in Dumfries.
I checked it out and it was just the kiln I wanted
3 Phase 24" wide 30" Deep 36" Tall

So I Hired a 3.5 Ton truck with a tail lift so we could move it
and my Best Mate Martin came up to Scotland with me for two days
to help me shift it.
I took this video while i was waiting for them to deliver the van.

We stayed up at Hannah's house for the night
and Doug Fitch cooked us a meal.
Thanks Doug.

The sun set was stunning.
I was up bright and early and shot this video at 6am
I could hear the suction pumps from the Dairy farm
but couldn't see it through the mist.


Then we finally got to see the kiln for the first time
it had been made especially
and is made in two halves so it would
fit through the door. 
 Martin set about taking it apart
It looks immaculate.
it turns out to be 24 years old
But Has Only been fired twice in that time.

 The elements were so supple still
that we decided to leave them connected
but just release them from the grooves. 
Getting it out of the door proved to be a little bit tighter
than we expected.
A Stair lift had been installed in the hall way
since the kiln had been installed. 

 We got it back to our workshop 
Normally at this point I would say
 " In one piece"
But actually it was in two bits!
 it took us 8.5 hours to drive it home.
 We put it back together
and we are just about to wire it up.
We have all of the paperwork for it
look at this original Invoice.

I can't wait to start using it.
Yet again we have been blessed.

1 comment:

ShellHawk said...

I have kiln envy! :D

Have fun firing it!

Harvest on the Farm TV appearance

It’s great to be back on the Blog! The most exciting thing that’s happening right now, is that I’ve been asked to appear on Channel 5’s TV s...