Wednesday 12 June 2019

Pottery requires Patience.

This year seems to be flying by so fast it's hard to keep it in focus!
On a plus note I've been very productive in the early months of 2019.

If you've been able to visit our showroom you would have noticed
increased stock levels.
I have been very focused this year on not only making pots
that I love to make but on keeping up a Professional standard
within our showroom and online offerings.

Our Online Business continues to grow and Marion's reputation
for excellent packaging always gets a mention in our 
online reviews!
An earlier visit to the Clive Bowen exhibition back in March
at the Goldmark Gallery 
gave me a boost of creativity, but I'm not one for copying
so it gave me a sense of freedom to continue down my own road.


I didn't get the chance to do a Ceramics Degree at a University,
the closest I got was an interview with Mick Casson
at Harrow back in 1978/9.
He said that at 17 my throwing was good but he felt
that I wouldn't be able to cope with the academic side of the course.
( I had failed my English 0 Level twice by then )
along with the fact that the average age of students on the course was 27.
He suggested I come back in 5 or 6 years!
Naturally I was devastated at the time, but as time has passed
I now believe it was the best thing he ever did for me.
I carried on teaching myself and developed my own style and learnt
what I needed to know about what interested me.
I dabbled in Stoneware in the early 80's
but by the time I was 23 I had a full time job selling ceramic tiles
to architects in London, a Daughter and a company car.
There was no way I was going to give that up to go and 
join a pottery course! it just wasn't even an option I considered.

So here I am 40 Years on
back to my first Love English Slipware Pottery
making pots in my own style how I want to make them!

I've always had plenty of patience, but my god it's taken a long time
to get to this point.


I seem to be making more architectural pieces for people
like this large sink for a new build sleek house.


But I still love to make my basic core range,
I do actually love the fact that customers walk into my workshop and buy my work,
for those of you who follow me on Facebook I know you might
think I'm telling porky pies, but I do.
It's only the few first thing Sunday that seem to wind me up
and in actual fact I love the banter we create on Facebook
as I know many of my fellow potters feel the same way.

Here's my wheel
devoid of any distractions on the back wall
but that's going to change ( watch this space )


Here are a few newer pots with a more relaxed approach!


The tall white jugs are a bugger to make but people 
have been swooning over them in the showroom!
The one second from the left went off to New York this week.

 While this two handled Pancheon is just sat in the showroom
waiting for it's new owner to walk in.

I didn't apply for any of the shows this year!
I struggle with issues of self worth on the run up to the shows it really
seems to have an effect on me.
So I thought I'd give them a miss this year and see if anything felt
any different by not having the shows to deal with?
And it has removed a lot of pressure off my shoulders so for this
year at least it's been a good decision!
Having said that we are planning to visit 
Earth & Fire on the Sunday.


We have always said that if we relied on just the visitors to Barrington Court 
to survive we would have gone out of business 7 years ago.
So in my next Blog I shall show off some of our Brand New Customers
that we have been making some exclusive pots for.
Have a great day
and thanks for stopping by.
PS: as you can tell I never did pass my English O Level

1 comment:

gz said...

you're doing well and make fantastic pots!
I met Mick Casson when I was on Art Foundation course at Cardiff and he was a visiting lecturer to the ceramics department...inspiring...and he remembered me every time we met over the years

Harvest on the Farm TV appearance

It’s great to be back on the Blog! The most exciting thing that’s happening right now, is that I’ve been asked to appear on Channel 5’s TV s...